Saturday, May 12, 2012

Top 6 Covers

Just a list of six of my favorite song covers. There will probably be a part 2 to this post, since there are a few other covers that I like. What are some of your favorite song covers?

1. The Beatles - Twist & Shout.
Now the Beatles did a lot of amazing covers, but this has got to be my all time favorite since it's the most played song according to my itunes. Runner-up for best song covered by the Beatles is Baby It's You.




2. The Last Shadow Puppets - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
I used to think that no one could cover a Beatles song. Well, that was before I heard Miles and Alex do this song for Electric Promos back in 2008. The accents, the suits, the music, everything is just perfect. Be sure to check out their cover of Leonard Cohen's Memories as well.





3. MGMT - Lucifer Sam
I don't really listen to that much Pink Floyd, but since no audio or video of MGMT covering John Lennon's Mind Games has surfaced, this will have to do. Plus, Bradford Cox is dressed up as Joey Ramone, how cool is that? Runner-up for best cover is their version of Bauhaus's All We Ever Wanted Was Everything.





4. Arctic Monkeys - Baby I'm Yours
Just like the Beatles, AM has covered quite a few songs, and they can even make crap songs sound decent (ex: love machine,  katy on a mission). But since I am a romantic fool, this is my absolute favorite cover by them. You should also listen to their cover of Amy Winehouse's You Know I'm No Good and Alex's cover of Patsy Cline's Strange.




5.Kasabian - Video Games
I'm still not sure if I like Lana Del Fake, I mean Lana Del Rey, but what I do know is that I really really love Kasabian's cover of her song. I also love their cover of I'm So Tired by the Beatles. (fun fact: their guitarist, Ian, has triplets with Lee, Ringo's daughter. I just love how all my fave bands are connected.)




6. Marina and the Diamonds - Boyfriend
Marina is my favorite female artist right now, she has the most amazing voice, as can be seen in her cover of Justin Bieber's song Boyfriend. Like I've said before, it takes a great artist to turn a crap song into something beautiful, and Marina did just that with this song. Make sure to also listen to her cover of 3OH!3's Starstrukk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I stumbled yupon your site and absolutely fell in love! I alos love mainstream today, plus some alternatives and I adore the sixties and seventies!

    Just great to have a kindred soul of sorts out there! Looking forward to more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...